2016-10-25

Brazo de Mercedes

A sweet custard-filled swiss roll that is super soft and pillowy, this delightful confection is an instant hit in a Filipino gathering. Everyone would be wanting to munch on this drool-worthy treat and I admit to craving for it on some nights too. It is very popular in the Philippines that you'll find a lot of wonderful recipes for it. I tried making it in the past and I had my own adjustments on this particular recipe. It has the right amount of sweetness from the custard but it doesn't overwhelm the meringue. I'm really looking forward to making this again once I got back my baking tools (and most importantly, my mixer) that I left in the Philippines. I hope you try it and let me know what you think on the comment box below. :)



Brazo de Mercedes

INGREDIENTS:
For the Meringue
1/2 cups granulated sugar
8 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 teaspoons distilled white vinegar (substitute for 1 teaspoon cream of tartar)

For the custard:
8 egg yolks
3/4 cup condensed milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Confectioner's sugar / icing sugar for dusting

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. In a bowl, add the vinegar (or cream of tartar) into the egg whites and beat with an electric mixer on high until soft peaks form
3. Add vanilla extract and gradually add sugar while beating in high until stiff peaks form
4. spread meringue on a baking sheet pan lined with baking paper and lightly greased and using the back of a fork, make a pattern on the meringue.
5. Bake the meringue for approximately 20 minutes or until it's set.
6. While the meringue is baking, make the custard filling by combining the egg yolks, condensed milk, and vanilla extract and continuously whisk in a saucepan over medium heat until it thickens and set aside.
7. Once the meringue is done, allow to cool for a few minutes, then dust with confectioner's sugar.
8. lay a baking sheet pan lined with a baking paper on top of meringue and quickly flip it over.
9. Remove the baking paper, spread the custard on top and roll the meringue into a log, slice into serving pieces and serve or chill before serving. ENJOY! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment